Sunday, September 26, 2010

Beginning with the frog

When I was young, my aunt Becky would tell us the story of the Wide Mouth Frog. It's about a mother frog who goes around to different animal mothers, asking them what they fed their babies, as she was looking for what she could feed her baby. As each animal tells mother frog what they feed their babies, she replies, "I can't feed that to my baby" and continues on her quest. As my aunt told the story to us, she made her mouth as wide as it could get when she spoke the part of the mother frog. It always made us laugh. Near the end of the story, the mother frog asks the alligator what she feeds her baby, and the alligator replies "wide mouth frogs". With that, the mother frog makes her mouth as tiny as she can, (as did my aunt) and replies "oh, isn't that nice". Mostly the reason I titled my blog "Me and my wide mouth blog" is because maybe some of the stories I will post, shouldn't be posted. Between my career and my family, my life is pretty funny to me. I do not intend to offend anyone. Hopefully, I will know when to keep my mouth shut. And I sincerely hope my friends and family who read this will not be embarrassed by me or for me.



I wanted to write a children's novel once. I didn't really start with an idea. I just started with a character and gave him a couple of characteristics. I named him, gave him a pet, and sat back to see where he would go. He didn't get far. He tried, but couldn't find a plot. I let my sister preview my novel. She told me she liked it so far and said she wanted to read what came next. She asked me what it was going to be about. It's was 7 years ago that I started it, and I still don't know what it was about. I wrote four chapters on building my character, but can't find a plot in my head with a fine toothed comb. So I packed it all up and it's in storage. Maybe one day, I will run across it again and give it another try. Until then, hopefully this blog will be a quick fix for my desire to write. I know that it will make a couple of people in my life who have been needling me to write very happy.

Have a happy day, readers!

No comments:

Post a Comment