Wednesday, November 24, 2010

We May be Backwards, but we Know Where We're Going. ...



So, Kaler told me the the other day that he would like a mullett. In the front, though. "Party in the front, business in the back", he said. He is a true redneck through and through, and is proud to be one. My son Jance pines to live in a trailer. That's all he wants. His own trailer. You should see the trailers he's been looking at on KSL. (No, we're not going to oblige him.) The trailer he wanted more than anything was painted solid red with a huge white "U" on it. Only $500 and surely no one would see it going down the road to get here. I overheard Craig telling the boys last night that at one time, he had a job that involved "pre-skidmarking new underwear for the marketplace", and he was the best in his division. He's told the kids since they were little about the jobs he used to have. For instance, long, long ago, he made dirt for a living, and mentioned what tough work it was to grind up rocks into dirt, for back then, we had no dirt. He also made cat trails back in the day, so the cats would know how to get through the fields, ... etc.
I haven't really written a lot about my family. It's true, my family is a freakshow. They know it. Of course I love them. They know that as well. If you lived at our house, you would hear remarks that would surely shock you, but go unnoticed by us. Last weekend we took our freakshow out in public. We all got ready for the day, as usual. It was cold so I put on my son's long sleeve flannel shirt and his socks for warmth. I pulled a winter stocking hat, also my son's, on my uncombed hair and started working around the house. Somewhere along the day, we ended up in the car. If I had realized we were actually going somewhere in public, I would have put my own clothes on. We ended up in the Orem mall. Yes, we did get looks, between the 3 buckaroo dressed cowboys, and the mom who dressed like a sloppy little boy, we did get looks. I mean we were in top notch trailer mode. Jance did get embarrassed when I pulled my pant legs up to adjust my socks, which had turned completely around and the heel was on the top of my foot, right in the food court. Did I mention, they were my son's and way to big?

Now why am I writing this? Most families hide this sort of thing. Is it because I'm past the point of desperate to put a blog out there, even to put my own family on the chopping block? No, it's because I want you to know, you no longer have to laugh at us behind our backs. We know who we are, and it's who we are. You may snicker right in front of us, but just know, to us, it's already old news. We laugh at ourselves more than anyone else possibly could. We are a good time had by all. We're the best time we've ever had. Our thighs hurt from slapping them too much during long bouts of breathless laughter, not to mention how our sides ache.

So let me explain the photo above; I am not a fan of "the Christmas letter". Last year, as a way to laugh at the Christmas letter, we decided to do a picture that says all, of everything we accomplished during the year 2009, namely a lot of bike riding, shooting, sculpting and makeup. And we didn't have to write a single word. Only immediate family got this picture, but due to my generous nature, I decided to share it with the world. This will truly give you a sense of who we are.

Thank you friends and family for accepting us for who we are. Unless you don't anymore after reading this.




1 comment:

  1. You are your family are adorable! I LOVE it! LOVE the picture too! :)

    ReplyDelete