Thursday, October 7, 2010

But I Saw You!

Don't you hate it when someone catches you doing something stupid, but don't you love it when you catch someone doing something inappropriate? I saw something so funny about 2 weeks ago. I was stopped at a red light at an intersection. The light had turned green for the other guys. An old Yugoslavian woman, my best guess, with teeth that seemed a little large for her head pulled into the intersection to turn. She was turning across traffic and onto the road I was on, so she had to wait until all the oncoming cars had passed. Well, the driver, a young man, maybe 17 years old, across the intersection, who was the leader of the long line of cars behind him, was looking down and didn't notice the green light. The Yugoslavian woman, waiting to turn became furious! I could see her just screaming at him and shaking her fist. She was so animated! It was only then, that the young man finally noticed the green light, and proceeded but not before he got a little taste of her wrath with a few more obscenities and gestures. All of this happened in only about 5 or 6 seconds, and no one that was waiting behind this kid felt the need to honk. She gunned her car through the intersection, putting an exclamation point on her rage, and as she turned the corner our eyes met. I'm not going to lie, I would have been so disappointed if she drove past without looking at me. In the couple of seconds it took her to drive past me, a whole conversation took place just with our eyes. Her eyes said "crap, someone just saw me make a total ass of myself", and my eyes said to her, "shame on you". She knew I did not approve. In my rear view mirror I noticed her car had it's tail between it's legs.
My sister has a good story about catching people doing shameful things. Since she won't write her own blog, I'll steal her story. She was at the grocery store with another sister of mine. They noticed a woman sneak a handful of Hershey's kisses out of a bulk candy container. They continued shopping just a few paces behind her. Every once in awhile, she would unwrap a kiss and sneak it into her mouth. Then she would wad up the foil, and stick it on a shelf as she didn't want stolen evidence on her person. After they saw her do this a few times, Ursula, my sister, went back to the candy bin and took a single kiss out. She slid a quarter underneath it, walked up to the woman, and handed it to her and said, "here, this one's on me". Ha ha, caught! And it all went down in the meat aisle. I love that story.
I've always wanted to have a party at my house where I've filled my upstairs bathroom medicine cabinet with marbles. There's always someone who likes to snoop into other peoples personal stuff. I can imagine it now, the sound of all those marbles falling out of the cabinet, hitting the countertop and floor and making an awful racket. All the guests looking upwards wondering what that noise was? Can you imagine the "oh crap!" thought going through the snooping person's head? Very funny! Well, this will not happen, mostly because I don't have an upstairs, let alone an upstairs bathroom, let alone enough friends to make a party. But, feel free to try this at your own party with your own friends!
I am not a mean spirited type of person. But I do get irritated by people always trying to "get away" with things as if it's owed to them, and I do get a little enjoyment out of people getting caught. I look at it as "reminding their conscience", and whenever I catch someone doing something stupid, it is a great reminder to me to not do stupid things in public.

2 comments:

  1. One time I was the one not paying attention in the turn lane. The old guy behind me honked. I waved politely in order to apologize. The next thing I know, my car is being bumped. Yes, he decided that he'd just hit me with his bumper. When I looked back he put his arms in the air like, "What the hell?" I had the urge to follow him home, but I didn't because I don't need to be making trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Which finger did you politely wave with?

    ReplyDelete